Thursday, November 5, 2009

Campus Life Good Boy Gone Bad #11: Treading on a military ground!

A sunny Saturday afternoon saw me hesitating behind the red painted gate. I knew her parents would not be at home but then just incase the meeting failed then probably they would be at my case. My weak reason of collecting my DVDs would be probably save my ass.

The gate was open so I pushed it and walked slowly, to the main house. I was a few metres from the main house when Emma came out from the kitchen, a coy smile planted on her lips. She glowed in her print dress.

“Hi,” she said as I engulfed myself in her hug.

“I am good, you look good.”

“Thanks. Well here I am. Mum just left and it’s only me and the house help. Dad as you know is quite rare to see him around. He just appears when least expected,” She paused for a while as the last statement sent a chill down my spine. “Welcome in,” she motioned me to the door that stood adjoined to my position.

“I loved those DVDs..especially how I met your mother. I love that Barney character..even though he is a womanizer and he is stinking rich!”

“Yap, that guy is irresistible! Anyway how have you been?”

“Just watching the comedies and helping in the house work. I also want to come to Nairobi and study Nursing,”

“Oh you want to be a nurse? Nurses make good mothers!”

“I wanna go for it! What drink can I get you?”

Chang’aa, would do,” I quipped leisurely then studied her bewildered face. “Just kidding, give me a glass of water.”

“Have a look at this photo album, I will be back,” she said after handing me a glass of water. Emma’s family comprised of three boys and Emma. She was the first born and the rest of her siblings were in primary school. Most of her photos were those while in high school. There were few photos of her mother and sibling but the image of her father immediately sparkled my interest.

Her towering dad in an imposing military outfit sent an all too familiar unwritten warning to me. He was in the army and was reputed with knocking off jaws of people he differed with. In our cigarette and Chang’aa laden village, he never trusted any young man near his only daughter. They were all the same; trying to get into her pants then sprint away in case she fell pregnant, he reasoned.

Half an hour later Emma appeared in a butt moulding jeans and a white t-shirt imprinted with the country’s flag. The clothing sensually curved out her full figure to an exquisite being.

“Did you recognize everyone in the album?”

“No, but that is not of interest now, I wish I had a camera here, I would take you a picture that would put be unforgettable!” She moved her index finger on my forehead to indicate that I was naughty. But in that move I sensed courage.

At that point my phone rung. “Let me take this,” I said as I walked out noticing that it was my girlfriend Stella on the line. “Hey, how are you?”

“It’s Hon..baby, why did you sound plain?” Stella’s voice came through from the earpiece. “Well I am with my Dad…Will call you later.” She hung the line without further conversation.

“Don’t worry a classmate finding out how holiday is,” I informed Emma as I walked back in. “How is it?” she inquired staring at me and expecting an honest answer.

“I am in the best company my dear, what better way to enjoy the holiday?” She just smiled. It was some minutes to seven and the sun had already set. I knew her mother would come in anytime. Some day I would have the audacity of facing her face to face but not today. Emma saw me off to the gate.

Just outside the gate she could not go further. We stood face to face saying unending bye byes. The crescent moonlight provided partial light that made her eyes glow like a star. I held her in one long hug, and then moved my hands to hold her back. I did not want to leave her…as I held her hand for one other minute, our serene moment was disrupted by the sound of a fast approaching car; a land rover.

“I gotta go, now” I whispered out.

“You’re right, it’s him!” With that she quickly headed for the gate as sought a different route home.

No comments:

Post a Comment