Thursday, November 5, 2009

Campus Life Good Boy Gone Bad #17: Leverage!

You have to give credit to Maina for one thing, when it comes to salary he pays on due date. On 28th of the month, at 8 am in the morning, he called Chris and I aside then handed each of us six grands. Six brand new notes fresh from the mint factory; it felt good. The first thing that came to my mind was how to blow it up and in thinking so I remembered I owed Chema lunch.

“You know Chris,” I started. “I had promised to take Chema out for lunch. It think today is just a perfect day!”

“Man, stick to Stella. She has been your girlfriend all this time,” Chris replied

“Is it because you are so smitten with her? You keep checking her out, asking her out,” I quickly rejoined

“No Rain, I know in the end you will lose and I will have Chema.”

“I wouldn’t be too sure if I was you.”

“I think you will regret it,” Chris said.

“Please,” I said, then made my way out.

I thought I would surprise Chema with the lunch offer but it appeared that she had already planned it. Flaunt was the theme of her outfit and she looked beautiful. The overpopulated streets of Nakuru did little injustice to a highly reactive body of mine as she was forced to stick closer to me several times. After walking for close to five minutes, we entered a restaurant where I pulled a chair for Chema,

“Mr. Rain, you don’t have to do that,” Chema said

“No, you are the one to stop this Mr. Mr. Business, I am just two years your senior,” I responded.

“Oh yeah?”

“Please stop the sarcasm,”

“Can I ask you a personal question?” she began as I took the menu from the table.

“Sure,” I said absentmindedly still unsure which of the ‘days special’ to pick from.

“Rain, do you have a girlfriend?”

Technically I had no girlfriend and did not hesitate to tell her about it. In any case there was a considerable distance between Nakuru and Nairobi. Chema went ahead to tell me about her high school crush who sent deluge of letters to her school. Unfortunately after high school the young man had to go to Uganda, for his A-levels. Even as she narrated her tale, I gleaned that she had some tiny feelings still left for the boy at the corner of her heart.

The food came, quite delicious and at par with my expectation considering the fact that I was spending 20% of my salary on it. Chema scooped her food in tiny bits, chewing them meticulously as she continued with her story. I was sure the lad who be awed by the well-endowed matoke fed women of the Buganda kingdom to think about Chema.

Just as we were about to leave, I turned to check out the waiter, but then I saw Chris with my girlfriend Stella. I was in utter shock, beyond words. But there was no time to express my shock, I had to think quickly! I swiftly beckoned Chema and sought a way out.

“Excuse me, young man, where are you running to?” it was the waiter. “You have not paid the bill yet.” I instantly dipped into my pocket and dished out two thousand shillings.

“Keep change,” I did not wait to see his reaction for my generous tip.

No comments:

Post a Comment