Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Campus Life; Good Boy Gone Bad: #2-02……..Balancing Act!

It had been a week since Stella had reported to college. So far, there had been no drama and she did not know about Chema’s presence in campus.

Being the eldest in a family and without a father’s nod can be quite disturbing and that was Stella’s predicament. To be able to counter this, Stella would always head home during the weekends, and try to reconnect with her father.

“Rain, my dad is always busy! He does not get time for us,” she said to me, parking her bag.

“Stella, don’t worry I know he will make up time for his family,” I replied rubbing her back.

“No Rain, he is always on the move, business trips and when at home, he is fixated on the business channel!”

“How about your mother?”

“What about her? She is always indifferent and can easily be duped. You see my younger sister has started moving around with weird friends and mum says nothing about it.”

“Everything will be okay,” I said then faced her directly; her face lit up dimly with glint of home. With that we worked to the bus stage, where she took a matatu home.

“Have a nice weekend, and take care,” she said as the tout called for two more passengers.

“I will, you enjoy your time,” I said waving to her.

Walking back to campus, I dialed Chema’s number and she did not pick it. Later on, when I was in my room she called back.

“Hey you, why didn’t you pick up my call?”

“Rain, I was in the shower,” she replied.

“Why didn’t you call me we take it together?” I said jokingly.

“Whaaat?” she interjected, then continued: “You are so naughty. So where are you taking me this beautiful Saturday?”

“I have good plans for you, just come to my room when you are done,” I replied.

I had no plans at hand, but then there was no harm in being a little creative. In the sunny Saturday, her khaki shorts, were just perfect for the weather. It was sports day, so I thought a hockey match would surely thrill Chema. However, as we transversed the field, she was instantly attracted to the game of rugby and insisted that we watched it.

The rugby match was already in progress and it had a capacity crowd with a sizeable number of ladies in attendance. I had watched very few rugby matches and typically did not know the rules of the game.

“Is that allowed?” Chema grabbed my hand tightly as we witnessed a player being shoved forcefully by another. The referee blew his whistle, which irked one of the fans.

“Idiot referee, what foul was that?” he barked out, a Guinness bottle in his hand. “What was the foul?” he directed his question to me.

“I think it’s a knock off,” I replied having heard someone whisper something to that effect.

“What? Knock on you mean?” he snickered out. “Rugby is a contact sport please!”

“Charlie show them the stuff we’re made off!” the heckler shouted to one of the players. It took some minutes before I could realize it was the same Charlie; my classmate. I had never known that he played rugby.

The game continued with its thrill with half the fans drunk cursing at the opponent’s moves as well as the hapless referee. Very often shouts of “stool” and “scrum” would be chanted out. But even more was stirring was Chema’s constant grips and grasps. Every time a player would maul over another she would pinch my skin, and in the rough and rugged game of rugby, she shouted, laughed loudly, yapped and pinched me more throughout the entire second half of the game. Why did she do that? It felt good, even though I was trying to get the rules of the game and how scores were being counted.

Later on, I walked to congratulate Charlie even though I was not sure if his team had won or lost. I tagged Chema along, who was clearly elated by the whole event.

“Congratulations Charlie” I said.

“Man Rain, you made it to this game! Thanks, that was a tight game, we just tried to follow coach’s advice,” Charlie said then wiggled his biceps, Chema pinched me again.

“It seemed to have paid off!” I was cautious with my words, still unsure if they had won.

“You know what, we have a little celebration after this, you can join us,” Charlie said.

“Actually, thanks but no thanks. We have a little plan,” I replied.

“Come on, you can tag along the lovely lady,” Charlie said smiling to Chema.

“That would be okay Rain,” Chema said.

I was not sure joining the biceps wielding men of rugby was a very brilliant idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment