Thursday, November 5, 2009

Campus Life Good Boy Gone Bad #2: A little dance hurt somebody

When I walked to my room, my ever-present roommate, Sila busied himself with what looked like calculus.

“Hey, are you revising high school stuff?” I asked as I turned the pages on his book.

“No, this is the assignment we’re supposed to hand in next week,” he replied then continued punching his calculator.

“Are you kidding? Is the timetable out?”

“Of course and we’ve had five classes this week!”

“I will catch up, the semester is still madam. Anyway are you going for Fresha’s Bash?”

“No, I got to finish this then head for CU.”

Stella, the girl I met on my first day in campus had agreed to be my date, and that Chris, my pal, too was to accompany me. Stella was exquisite to say the least. As soon as we hit the student centre, the place was almost filled up to capacity. The DJ on the wheels of steel was already spinning the best latest local music. Freshmen in the latest jeans in vogue as well as snow white Nikes gyrated their hips and every movable body parts in tandem with the beat.

Chris was not a dance guy, so he went straight to the counter. Stella was so eager to show me what she got. And her moves left me numb for a while as she whirled like cyclone on the dance floor. I was forced to muster all the dance moves I knew and for a moment, I matched her movements. However, because of my lack of practice, I was soon weary. We joined Chris at the counter, where he had an array of alcoholic drinks, but we stood our ground and ordered for soft drinks.

A moment later a dude in sagging jeans walked up to us and asked Stella for a dance. Stella looked up to me.

“Sure no problem,” And as soon as I said that, the Dude took her hand and walked her to the dance floor.

“I don’t like that guy,” Chris said as soon as they were on the dance floor.

“Don’t worry it’s just a dance.”

While watching the two on the dance floor they were like a perfect pair. They moved like a pair of Conjoined twins to the dance moves and when it came to Salsa they tangoed like they were the only ones in the world. Chris was just staring at me a little tipsy with that look that just said: “Told you, I hate that guy.”

When it was time to leave, the Dude approached me. Stella had gone to the washrooms “I know that this is your girl, but we've kind of connected and am sorry, I am going with her tonight.” “Are you crazy…?” Before I could complete the sentence, Chris had already roughed him up and thrust him on the wall. We administered a few slaps and when the security moved in our direction, we quickly disappeared. Stella was on the doorway and I held her as we swiftly made our way out of the discotheque.

Just at the entrance of Hall Six as I bid Stella goodnight, she gave me that look that so many men confuse with the signal. The signal that says: Hey so you think you’re a tiger? Why don’t you devour me? Actually the look that is accompanied by a long pause just meant: Rain I trust you.

No comments:

Post a Comment