Thursday, November 5, 2009

Campus Life Good Boy; Gone Bad #23: Always Strapped!

“You know, I am still in shock of what happened yesterday,” Chema started when we were on a tea break.

“The good thing is that you are safe,” I said sipping my tea.

“Thanks Rain. Thank you too for the SMS, I slept well, and you know what! I dreamt about you!”

“You dreamt about me?”

“Actually the two of us!”

“What was it about?”

“Nothing much, we were at my birthday party and then you stopped the music and called everyone to attention. You said something! Something so sweet! Which unfortunately, I can’t remember!”

“Something sweet? Come on what was it?” I said shaking her lightly.

“I honestly cannot remember!” she replied shaking her head. “Rain do you believe in dreams?”

“Only sweet ones!”

When I saw my boss, Maina, enter the reception area, I briskly walked away from Chema. Chema too walked back to the classroom. Maina handed a few papers to the Secretary then signalled in my direction. I walked to the reception area whereby he asked me to follow him to the next room.

Lain, how is your morning?” Maina started then clasped his hands.

“I am good sir,” I replied after bolting the door. Sensing his foul mood I continued: “The students are pretty much happy of the progress we are making, and sure enough a good word about this college is being spread around the town.”

“Is that so? Anyway talking about students, I don’t like the way you are getting cosy with that Chema girl.”

“No sir, it’s just that she is having a little problem with the computers and I have to put in some extra hours for her.”

“Come one Lain! I know this things, a pretty girl like that always arouses attention.” He looked at me then smiled wryly. “However, know that I shall not allow you to bring my college to disrepute in any way! ”

“Sir, I shall be professional!” I said. He motioned me to leave.

I did not have a class in the mid-morning so I took a short walk downtown. My phone rung and on checking it was Stella.

“Hallo? How are you?”

“I am good! You did not return my SMS last night!”

“Sorry dear, my phone had run out of units,” I replied.

“Is that so? Okay.” She paused for a while then continued. “Have you read the papers?”

“Nope, what’s in it?”

“Well, we shall be resuming college in two weeks time!”

“I can’t get excited about the books but I am excited I will be seeing you daily!”

“Me too! Well I have to go, have a nice day. By the way, I met Chris, and I asked him to come and show me a little math, hope you don’t mind.”

“It’s okay, have a nice day.” I said reluctantly.

In spite of the scorching sun, the town was full of men and women eking out with in all manner of ways. The Matatu touts kept shouting to all while the jua kali artisans with metal pieces strewn all over and the loud noise still chatted with one another. The beggars stretched out their hands longer if you were in a suit while the hawkers leaped in joy if they saw an oncoming bus from Nairobi. Even looking at them, my mind veered off to make resolutions for my second year in campus. This time round I had to walk hard by attending all lecturers from day one, doing all assignments and coursework. It was also time to find a good friend, and forget about Chris forever. It was time to make things right with Stella. With the distance, it was time too to forget about Chema. I would not want that but, I had to take control of my life if I ever wanted to graduate.

When I walked back to Next Generation International College, I met an elated Chema at the reception.

“Rain guess what!” she said then giggled.

“I am in no mood for that. Excuse me,” I said.

“You will be if I showed you this!” Chema exclaimed then reached for an envelope and flashed it on my face.

“What is that?”

“This is my admission to university! I will be joining you in Nairobi!”

“What! Congratulations for….” Before I could complete the sentence she was already jumping up and down and slapping my arm several times. I did not know what to expect but one thing for sure, I had to revise my resolutions!

The end, of season 1

No comments:

Post a Comment