Thursday, November 5, 2009

Campus Life Good Boy Gone Bad #16: Chris versus Rain

Even though Chris was my best friend, there was one major difference between the two of us: Chris was the kind of the hunter who runs after the prey with all his strength and shoots from the hip while I was the kind who lays a trap for the prey.

“Hey girl, I am Chris and I come second to Bill Gates when it comes to computers,” Chris said. “Mhhh?” Chema replied.

“But do I say? You know the key to proficiency in a Word Program is this Ctrl key. It is the control key and you can do magic with it,” Chris blurted out. He moved closer to Chema and placed his hand on her shoulder, Chema brushed it aside politely. Chris still oozing energy continued, “If you want to open a document it’s Ctrl+O, to make it bold it’s Ctrl+B, to save the document it’s Ctrl+S and to exit the application it’s Ctrl+W. Very simple!” he exclaimed.

“Sorry, I did not get anything,” Chema said shaking her head. I almost burst out laughing.

“Chris, come over here.” Maina, shouted. Mr. Maina had assigned Chris to be the tutor for the secondary school students. On the other hand, I was responsible for the computer students and thereby interacting with Chema on a primary basis. Chris however could dump assignments to the secondary students and come to the aid of Chema in learning how to use a computer.

“Man, I am on fire for this chic,” Chris said on our lunch break. “I don’t know why she could not agree to my lunch offer.”

“Slow it down man, she ain’t feeling you at the moment,” I said.

“No, Rain you got to help me out,” Chris said then patted my back. “You are my bro, tell her how cool I am! Show her that I am the real package she is looking for.”

It was an untenable request. Chris knew that I had a girlfriend and naturally thought that I had no interest in Chema. However, my interest in Chema was growing at an alarming rate. When I walked to class that afternoon, Chema called me aside and requested for remedial classes on computer basics.

“Chema, I want you to visualize yourself like a boss,” I started.

“Like this boss who has a mean secretary just outside her office?” she inquired.

“Correct. The secretary is mean but effective. The computer is now your secretary. This thing called the desktop is like the top of your desk, the secretary allows you to place the most important stuff on your desk,” I continued. I shifted my position so that I was now facing her directly. I saw in her those trusting round white eyes; the sclera having taken over the surface of her eyes.

I knew that I wielded enormous power over her, I felt like The Man. “Email is an electronic mail which is comparable to sending your secretary with a mail to any office. This word program is like your notepad. The keyboard is your pen, you can type everything, put in bold for emphasis, align them in paragraphs for precision and so on,” I paused to gauge her attentiveness.

“That sounds so simple,” she said her dimples forming beautifully on her chubby face.

“uh well, computers are made to simplify life,”

“Mr. Rain, you are such a good teacher! I should buy you lunch,” she said.

“No, I should buy you lunch, because you are really learning so fast!”

No comments:

Post a Comment